HTML has, probably, confusing date format

From: Cyril <cyril2@mail.ru>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:41:03 +0300
To: www-html@w3.org

Dear Sirs,

I am afraid that an inconvenient date format
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-datetime AND
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime AND
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-datetime-01.txt) has
been chosen to represent dates in HTML, the format
"YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD". In this format a month is represented by two
digits, i. e. similar way as a day representation. Since it is so, I am
very afraid that the day data could be confused with month data in one
snap, in other words, very, very easily. (Two times "very" because, as
you can feel, I am worry about such a choice very much.) I consider any
date formats as confusing if it represents month by digits, not by
letters. Why not represent month by 3 letters, for example "Jan" or
"Sep". Sirs, if possible, let me know, is this date format is one and
only legal date/time strings
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#adef-datetime) in HTML?

Regards,
Cyril, Esq.