sound on event

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:02:27 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

Is there any discussion around the need for 'sound on event' ?

Our site http://www.peepo.com is a directory for people with severe
learning difficulties, who cannot read or write.
many of our users benefit from a sound onmouseover, firstly it helps
understanding of links(any sound becomes associated with a link),
secondly it aids understanding of the graphics used as links("music"
becomes associated with a 'note' icon).

--

Does anyone know a method that works for Mozilla?
(I've had this listed as a bug/wish for a number of years)

Our current method only works for IE
We currently use a workaround(bgsound + javascript) so that IE users
can hear a sound description as they 'mouseover' links.

--

Assuming we plan to break* XHTML 1.1 (because we use bgsound) will this
really mean  the page wont display?

thanks

Jonathan