RE: Suggestion: change abbr to full word

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:19:02 +0200 (EET)
To: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
cc: <www-html@w3.org>

On 2002-11-04, Jelks Cabaniss uttered to www-html@w3.org:

>At one time, I thought short names were a problem too: what the heck is
>a <ul>?  But I've come to realize that names aren't the problem; after
>all, a number of folks (perhaps the majority) routinely use <blockquote>
>to indent. :)

To me the issue seems exceedingly simple -- either you use a WYSIWYG
editor with a nice GUI, or you code by hand. In the former case, what the
actual tags are called is completely irrelevant, a point well made by the
original poster. From the viewpoint of storage and memory consumption,
parsing speed and we who actually maintain sites in a vanilla text editor,
shorter is better. Shorter tags are a pure win.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111