Re: supporting graphics in HTML

From: Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP] <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:03:05 +0100
To: Erich Reto Iseli <erich.iseli@iseli.org>
CC: www-html@w3.org

Erich Reto Iseli wrote:

> Shaik Mahaboob Subhani wrote:
>
>  > I have to convert some file into HTML which supports IE5 and
>  > Netscape4.7. the file contains graphics like Images, Lines,
> rectangle, > Elliplse, Polyline, polygon, round rectangle, arc and sector of
>  > ellipse. is it
>  > possible to draw all these components in HTML(except image). I have
>  > all the coordinates all these elements.even before drawing i have to
>  > set the canvas size in html. if any body knows plz let me know.
>
> No, HTML cannot do this. However there is SVG (Scalable vector graphics)
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8 (weird that "8" at the end
> of the URL, but it's correct)

The whole naming convention there is weird : enter anything
from

	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/
	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview
	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm
	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Ovwerview.html

and you still end up at

	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Overview.htm8

???

Intriguingly, the textual link from

	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/

/omits/ the trailing slash in

	http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG

which I though was Strongly Discouraged...

Philip Taylor, RHBNC