Fieldset grouping of items other than forms

From: PERRY, Grant <Grant.Perry@qed.qld.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:00:35 +1000
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Hello,

I would just like someone to clear something up for me I was under the
impression that fieldset (as the name describes) should only be used to
group form elements. However I have recently seen it used to group any other
elements img, p etc.

Could some one please point me to some documentation saying it should only
be used for forms, if so, because I have successfully validated a page using
fieldset in this way.

Thanks,
Grant Perry
Web Development