W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-html@w3.org > June 2002

Re: [xml-dev] XHTML modularisation causes strange error with MSXML

From: Sebastian Schnitzenbaumer <schnitz@mozquito.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:24:38 +0200
Message-ID: <D0F1529EE943B3449F755CA1A40887465B3F9A@winserver.windomain.mozquito.com>
To: "MAISONNY Benoit" <Benoit.MAISONNY@eurocontrol.int>, <www-html@w3.org>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Benoit,
 
if it works in Xerces but not with MSXML I unfortunately
can't help. No, I don't know of any workarounds. The only
reason I'm writing you is because I would hate to see this
become your reason to not use the M12N. Can't you just
use a real XML parser ;-)?
 
Perhaps the ongoing work on M12N in XML Schema may
solve this problem once for all in the future, since the HTML
WG had to do a lot of tricks with DTDs to make the M12N
happen in the first place. With XML Schema, M12N seems
to be more straight-forward [1].
 
- Sebastian
 
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-m12n-schema/

	-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht----- 
	Von: MAISONNY Benoit 
	Gesendet: Fr 28.06.2002 14:08 
	An: 'www-html@w3.org'; 'xml-dev@lists.xml.org' 
	Cc: 
	Betreff: [xml-dev] XHTML modularisation causes strange error
with MSXML
	
	

	Hello,
	
	I wrote a DTD for a type of aeronautical document, using XHTML
	Modularisation. This worked fine until I tried to validate the
DTD and
	sample documents with MSXML4 SP1 (and earlier). Needless to say
they
	validate with Xerces and ElCel's xmlvalid (and even with XMLSpy,
after
	adding a space into empty parameter entities).
	
	I found some messages on xml-dev[1] and www-html[2] related to
MSXML in the
	context of XHTML m12n and 1.1, but I can't find any
solution/workaround for
	the following error message (output by xmlint.exe, Microsoft's
validator):
	
	    A name was started with an invalid character.
	    URL: file:///H:/eAIP/_dev/xhtml/eAIP/sample7-id.xml
	    Line 00001: &&
	    Pos  00002: -^
	
	As you can expect, that file begins with <?xml ... and not with
&& or
	whatever.
	
	A page[3] on microsoft.com explains this can be caused by
encoding issues,
	but it is not my case: I checked the files at byte level to be
sure (they
	are UTF-8). It doesn't seem to be an OS issue neither (same on
NT4 & win98).
	
	I suppose it's a bug in MSXML and I won't wait for MS to correct
it for me
	:-)
	So my question is rather: what causes this error? Is there a
workaround? (I
	am not against a small change in the DTD that would magically
please MSXML.)
	Should I give up XHTML m12n and instead adapt XHTML 1.0
extensively to suit
	my needs? (not that I want to!)
	
	Thanks for any help and sorry for cross-posting,
	Benoit
	
	[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200106/msg00502.html
	    http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200106/msg00616.html
	[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2002May/0036.html
	[3]
	
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwebte
am/h
	tml/webteam08062001.asp
	
	
......................................................................
	Benoit MAISONNY
benoit.maisonny@eurocontrol.int
	eAIP development & support
http://www.eurocontrol.int/ais/ahead/eaip
	EUROCONTROL                        Aeronautical Information
Management
	
	
-----------------------------------------------------------------
	The xml-dev list is sponsored by XML.org <http://www.xml.org>,
an
	initiative of OASIS <http://www.oasis-open.org>
	
	The list archives are at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
	
	To subscribe or unsubscribe from this list use the subscription
	manager: <http://lists.xml.org/ob/adm.pl>
	
	
Received on Friday, 28 June 2002 08:25:14 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 18:15:52 GMT