entities inside form elements

From: Jan Meyer <Aerosoftware@makeithappen.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:24:06 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
This url
has this snippet
&lt; &gt; &amp;
<input type=text value="&lt; &gt; &amp;">

How do I get the textarea and text controls to display
&lt; &gt; &amp; instead of < > & ???

The data from the controls is saved in a DB. The entities get replaced.
Then when I generate HTML files from the data I get invalid HTML.

I find this to be a quirky way HTML works. The same textarea may also have
tables, but that is displayed as <table>....</table>, not as the table as
rendered by a browser.

Jan Meyer