Re: lowercase XML languages

From: Timothy J. Luoma <luomat@peak.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:20:08 -0800 (PST)
To: Robert Koberg <rob@koberg.com>
cc: html-w3c <www-html@w3.org>

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Robert Koberg wrote:

> Why are all the XML languages lowercase?

xhtml is lowercase.  As someone pointed out, XML can be either.

> Is this decision arbitrary or are there reasons?

I was just reading about this somewhere... it was not arbitrary (they had
to go with one or the other) and there were valid arguments for both.

I think I remember this source as saying that lowercase had won the day
in part because of folks who code by hand (like me :-) for whom uppercase
was going to be a PITA

I'll check my HTML/XHTML book when I get home and see if I can find more
of the background.

TjL