Re: Target, or opening a new instance of UA with a link

From: Frank Tobin <ftobin@neverending.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:01:03 -0500 (EST)
To: Doug M-C <doug@m-c.lake.mn.us>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Doug M-C, at 21:45 -0500 on 2002-02-23, wrote:

> I have noticed that the target attribute for <a> is now out of strict
> x/html. That means that there is no way to force a UA to open a link in
> a new instance of itself if you're keeping to a strict dtd.  Does anyone
> else miss this?

The idea is that, as you slightly hint at, this is presentational issue
(telling the UA how to act/display).  I'm not sure what advisable
replacements there are currently available, however.  Javascript might be
desirable here if you want 'actions' taken upon following a link.

I personally dislike the target attribute when used to open new windows,
and am glad it's gone, especially since, quoting you, it's used to "force"
open a new window (I hate my UA/me being 'forced' to do anything).  I'll
decide when I want a window, thank you very much.  Similarly, I'll make
sure my UA's Javascript is also set to not open new windows (thank you,
Mozilla, for giving me control).

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/