FIELDSET, LEGEND, HTML, & XHTML

From: Joe Kaczmarek <joe@joek.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:36:52 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org
First the question:
Why does HTML validation require a LEGEND for FIELDSET, while XHTML
validation does not?

Now some background:
While checking my site at Bobby (http://www.cast.org/bobby/) it
recommended using FIELDSET within FORMs. Now, maybe since I only have
one field within my FORM this isn't needed, but when I included
FIELDSET, I could no longer validate as HTML 4.01 Transitional without
also including LEGEND.

But, another site I checked for reference
(http://www.neuralust.com/~cac6982/) is written in XHTML 1.0 Strict,
includes FIELDSET, does not have a LEGEND, and yet it validates.

Is there a discrepency that XHTML does not require LEGEND with FIELDSET
but HTML does?

Thanks,
Joe.