Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: Devon Y. <vehementpetal@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:53:08 -0500
To: tantek@cs.stanford.edu, www-html@w3.org

>This is false.  Using ID for anchor targeting is a feature of
>HTML4[1], and is supported in numerous (all?) modern browsers.

No, I was correct. It doesn't work on Mozilla 1.2.1, Opera 6.05, or IE
6.0.26 on either of my Windows systems (Win 98 & ME). I just tested it again
to be sure.

> > I think links that don't work
> > properly, can really confuse a person navigating the web.
>Since there are numerous links that don't work on the web, this
>statement is equivalent to saying the web can really confuse a
>person navigating the web, which is perhaps true.

The point I was trying to make, was that authors shouldn't encourage
confusing navigation. There's a big difference between a 404 page and an  ID
anchor that only takes a person to the top of a long page that at first
glance has no relevant information.

> > Small point... IE doesn't support HTMLs' <abbr>, which means
> > it wouldn't support XHTMLs' <abbr> either.
>IE5+/Mac supports <abbr>.

I think I got confused with another post I read earlier. I thought we were
talking about Windows IE. I probably should've pointed that out anyway to be

> > As far as I know, the only Windows browsers right now that can > do
>XHTML justice, are Mozilla and Opera 7 (beta 2).
>IMHO I don't know how to tell if any browser does XHTML justice, as not
>only is there not a W3C XHTML test suite to see if any particular
>browser does XHTML justice, but there is no W3C HTML4 test suite to
>see if any particular browser does HTML4 justice (in spite of claims
>made by vendors of several implementations - including IE5/Mac).

Well I use XHTML as exclusively as I can, and every one of those documents
work fine in Mozilla 1.x & Opera 7b2 (both on Windows). There are still a
few bugs here and there in the implementations, but XHTML works just as good
(if not better) than older HTML versions (for me). That's my test suite.

>  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-id
>  The id attribute has several roles in HTML:
>  As a target anchor for hypertext links.

.....does IE5+/mac support it?