Re[2]: <hr /> and WD-xhtml2-20021218

From: Alexander Savenkov <w3@hotbox.ru>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 19:16:44 +0300
To: www-html@w3.org

Toby wrote:
> Devon Y. said:
>> I just can't see how an <hr /> element is anything but presentational.
>> Anyone can mimic the <hr />'s effect using CSS. For me, that means <hr
>> />'s  are just code clutter.

> I am very much of the school of thought that we should use XHTML 2 as a
> the only empty visible element (ie: not inside <head /> or <object />)

> Instead we should define a special object type attribute value, say
> "special/hr" that can be used like this:

> <object type="special/hr">------------------</object>

> This can be used for those people who are desperate for a rule, but refuse
> to use CSS, or for CSS-less browsers.

I think you meant to say:
and in CSS:
.empty { display: none }

What's the purpose of "object type='special'" then?
The approach witš 'display: none' benefits all the users including
those with disabilities whether they have an ACCS-enabled browser or
not.

Happy New Year by the way! We have just 5 hours to go.

Best wishes!
---
  Alexander "Croll" Savenkov                  http://www.thecroll.com/
  w3@hotbox.ru                                     http://croll.da.ru/