Re: Promotion of XHTML

From: Toby Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:20:31 -0000 (GMT)
To: <lewi0371@mrs.umn.edu>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>

John Lewis said:
> But you're going to extra trouble
> for no gain (other than XHTML's "coolness"). If you're writing HTML,
> what's the purpose of writing it as XHTML and then
> making sure it's sort of HTML, in addition to worrying about browser
> incompatibilities *because it's XHTML*?

Personally I think it's easier to write in XHTML because it's tidier.

I don't have to bother remembering which elements need to be closed,
because they all do.

I don't have to worry about an untidy mix of <UPPER CASE>, <lower case>
and <Mixed Case> tags, because they all have to be lower case.

I don't need to care about whether a particular attribute needs quote
marks around it or not... because I can be sure that it does.

It's a much more symmetrical and consistant markup language, so (in my
book) is much easier to use.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
E-mail:   tobyink@goddamn.co.uk

Being a BALD HERO is almost as FESTIVE as a TATTOOED KNOCKWURST.