Re: Promotion of XHTML

On 12/30/02 10:55 PM, "Devon Y." <vehementpetal@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> But it does display valid XHTML with no problems so there's
>> nothing stopping developers using it is there??
>
> No, for various reasons already pointed out in this thread. An important one
> that hasn't been mentioned though, is that in XHTML you can use a URL like -
> http://www.some-website.com/page.xht#second , to point to the section of
> code starting at <div id="second"> ....but if the document is rendered as
> HTML, this link will not work like that.

This is false.  Using ID for anchor targeting is a feature of HTML4[1], and
is supported in numerous (all?) modern browsers.

> I think links that don't work
> properly, can really confuse a person navigating the web.

Since there are numerous links that don't work on the web, this statement is
equivalent to saying the web can really confuse a person navigating the web,
which is perhaps true.

> Small point... IE doesn't support HTMLs' <abbr>, which means it wouldn't
> support XHTMLs' <abbr> either.

IE5+/Mac supports <abbr>.

> As far as I know, the only Windows browsers right now that can do XHTML
> justice, are Mozilla and Opera 7 (beta 2).

IMHO I don't know how to tell if any browser does XHTML justice, as not only
is there not a W3C XHTML test suite to see if any particular browser does
XHTML justice, but there is no W3C HTML4 test suite to see if any particular
browser does HTML4 justice (in spite of claims made by vendors of several
implementations - including IE5/Mac).

Tantek

[1]
 http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-id

"
 The id attribute has several roles in HTML:
 As a target anchor for hypertext links.
"