Ideas for improved semantics for xhtml 2 WD

From: Devon Y. <vehementpetal@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:59:06 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Hi. I work a lot with plain XML and it's given me some ideas for how XHTML
could improve semantics in certain areas --

Idea 1:

The <a> element and @href attribute, might make more sense to authors if it
were actually something more like this:

<to uri="http://www.w3.org/">w3</to>
...or perhaps...
<uri at="http://www.w3.org/">w3</uri>

     (...my personal taste is for an @uri attribute,
      since it could then be in the attribute collection
      and be used on anything... like <object uri="..."/>
      or <li uri="...">foo</li>)

Idea 2:

The <table> element might be more useful and make more sense if renamed to
<chart>. Different charts could then be displayed as different types - a pie
chart, line graph, a table, etc. The markup wouldn't be so bound to a visual
concept this way, and still describe the content as data.

      (Of course, this would mean table related elements
       like <tr> & <td> would need to have name changes
       too, especially the <tr> (table ROW just wouldn't
       cut it in a graph or pie chart). I realize SVG or
       images can be used to display different kinds of charts,
       but there's already a foundation for tables/charts
       in XHTML.)

Devon

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf