[fwd: Re: comments on 2002-12-12 XHTML 2.0 WD]

From: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:54:20 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

This answer from Frank Boumphrey <bckman@ix.netcom.com> never showed up
in the list, I don't know why.... Reposting.

</daniel>
===================
Sender: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
To: "Mikko Rantalainen" <mira@cc.jyu.fi>, www-html@w3.org
CC: "Daniel Glazman" <glazou_2000@yahoo.fr>
Object: Re: comments on 2002-12-12 XHTML 2.0 WD
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:50:22 -0500

The style attribute is the ONLY way to make make certain pages work in
the real world.

In the world of real web applications (as opposed to 'ivory tower'
speculations) , we often want to pull XHTML fragments out of a database
and string them together. Each of the individual fragments has been
styled by a different user. The only way to carry the styling around
with the fragment is to use the style attribute on each of the elements.

So the style attribute is not just a convienience for Authors, it is
essential for many applications.

To see an example of what I mean have a look at the application under
development at

http://dev.itadevelopment.com/~boumphreyfr/sandbox/skelbe/testjs.php

such an application is imposible without the style attribute.

Frank