  • From: Toby A Inkster <tobyink@goddamn.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:19:05 +0000
  • Subject: Re: Using CSS for XML Events
  • To: Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com>
  • Cc: www-html@lists.w3c.org
On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 11:40:28AM -0600, Shelby Moore wrote:
| What is needed is some way to specify a set (a class) of elements to which
| the same listener could be assigned.  Perhaps there is some way to leverage
| CSS's selectors technology for specifying targets or using CSS to assign
| listeners to selectors.

Not a bad idea, but I don't think it should be part of CSS -- maybe
through a file with CSS-like syntax:

@define ("text/javascript") {
    function myPopupFunction() {
        blah...
    }
    function helloWord() {
        window.alert("Hello World");
    }
}
@import ("some_more_functions.js");
@import ("more_functions_again.pl");
a.popup
{
    onClick: myPopupFunction(attr(href));
}

Script functions could be @define-d within the eventsheet file, or
@import-ed. The eventsheet would then link element events to functions.

The HTML could refer to the event sheet similarly to CSS:

<link rel="Eventsheet" href="events.es" />

This could therefore be implemented by any browser that chose to
without impacting the CSS, (X)HTML, XML or ECMAScript specs.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
E-mail:   tobyink@goddamn.co.uk

I smell like a wet reducing clinic on Columbus Day!