Re: Is this legal XHTML 1.1?

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> At 3:43 AM +0000 12/9/02, Ian Hickson wrote:
>> In any case, it is illegal to send XHTML 1.1 as text/html, so the whole
>> excercise is pointless as no legacy browser would be able to render the
>> page in the first place.
>
> Where exactly does it say that?

It says it in the same place where it says that it is illegal to send
XHTML1.1 as image/png.

> I didn't notice anything in the XHTML 1.1 specs about the proper MIME
> media type, and this was not a listed change from 1.0, which does
> explicitly allow text/html, but I could easily have missed something.

The changes section is non-normative.

Also, text/html's RFC [1] only says "In addition, [XHTML1] defines a
profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML 4.01 and which may
also be labeled as text/html", which references to a profile of XHTML 1.0,
not 1.1, which, in addition, bans internal subsets [2].

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2854
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ section 3.1.1 items 1 and 5.