Re: Is this legal XHTML 1.1?

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:07:09 -0500
To: Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com>, www-html@w3.org

At 9:09 PM +0100 12/8/02, Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:

>By the way, I'm curious, what the width and language attribute for? What
>browsers require them?

The language attribute is to make sure that all browsers recognize
the script as JavaScript, including older browsers that don't pick up
on type=""text/javascript"

The width attribute is just to set the width of a table column, again
for older browsers that don't recognize CSS.

Mozilla does seem to be falling back to the old definition of the
width attribute for the td element, despite this page being served as
application/xhtml+xml. However, if a CSS width style is present that
appears to override the manually speciifed width.