Re: In support of the "line space" (nee <hr>)

From: Joris Huizer <joris_huizer@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 04:14:17 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-html@w3.org

A browser which supports CSS 2 doesn't need that, in
fact - you can do something like this:

p {margin-top:2px;}
p+p {margin-top:5px; border-top:1px solid #000000;}

However, because few browsers support the "Adjacent
sibling selector" (+) - most autors still use <hr> or
empty sections.
In my opinion, <hr> is not needed, as ("advanced") css
can do the same job

the only problem is, an <hr> element can have a
different width than the widths of either paragraph -
so this might be a reason to use the <hr> element
And an empty section can be given a background image -
while a border can't be an image (which may be a
reason for an autor to use empty sections rather than
the <hr>)