RE: Headings in lists

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:39:50 -0400
To: "'www-html'" <www-html@w3.org>

Several ideas have sprung from the original proposal.  For clarity (and
please correct if I have missummarized them):

  2)  Add <h> to all other list type elements (ul, ol, dl)

  3)  Replace <h> with <caption>

  4)  Add <caption> to <object>

1 and 2 make sense to me.  I don't like 3: I don't think the (optional)
heading should be replaced -- with anything.

Tantek has, I think, effectively dismissed #4 -- it can't be done
because of the fallback mechanism.  However, the idea of a caption, not
only to lists (in addition to the heading), but also to images and other
<objects>, does have some appeal.

Does a <caption> element make sense for lists?  Does a 'caption'
attribute make sense for <objects>?

/Jelks