RE: [WD XHTML 2.0 ] why not use xlink

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:32:33 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>

Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

>     Example. *Wrong*
>
>     User Agents have no way of knowing this is a link.
>     <mylink linkend="http://mysite/myfile.xml">
>             Current list of references
>     </mylink>
>
>     Example: *Right*
>
>     Links can be recognized reliably by XLink applications.
>     <crossref xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
>               xlink:href="http://mysite/myfile.xml">
>               Current list of references
>     </crossref>

Those examples are using other vocabularies, not HTML.  HTML UAs have
had no trouble so far understanding that 'href' means 'link';  the same
should be true in XHTML 2 UAs -- even without the "voodoo:" in front of
it.  :)

As to 'wrong' and 'right' for associating XLink semantics to generic
XML, see my previous reply to Bill Daley.

/Jelks