Re: How about a <notice>element?

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:20:46 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

James Card wrote:

> There seems to be two or three major branches of HTML-based
> "documents". Initially the web consisted primarily of
> marked-up documents: academic papers, reports of various
> kinds, all essentially text-based...
>
> The second major branch comprises "documents" that are
> primarily presentational in nature. This ranges from
> graphics-laden pages displaying artwork...
>
> The third branch I'll describe as the web application
> "documents"...
>
> The <warning> and <notice> elements you propose I would
> associate with the third group (web application).

I would associate it with all three. In my view, formal
software documentation and programming references would
be associated with the first group--and such documentation
very often has "tips" and "warnings". Personal art
galleries often have update -notices-, so there's a use
within the second category. And then there's the tips,
warnings, errors, and other notices that come with form-
based web applications.

~fantasai