RE: How about a <notice>element?

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:37:50 +0300 (EEST)
To: Mark Stanton <mark@gruden.com>
cc: <www-html@w3.org>

On 2002-08-13, Mark Stanton uttered to www-html@w3.org:

>Seriously though, can't anyone see the trap we are falling into? I don't
>see why the <span class="..."> can't be used to cover pretty much all of
>these scenarios.

For the simple reason that there are no shared semantics, here. I mean, we
could very well do without headings, paragraphs, whathaveyou, if we just
used <span/> intensively enough. Those elements are present so that
applications utilizing HTML share an understanding of what certain parts
of the document mean -- HTML is supposed to be about semantic markup.
Requesting elements which augment its expressive power seems sensible
enough to me.

It's a different thing whether those extensions should be part of XHTML
core, of course.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111