Re: The X in HTML

From: Jonny Axelsson <jax@opera.no>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:37:25 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

12.08.02 16:42:48, "Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP]" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

>Could I therefore ask Masayasu Ishikawa, or another member
>of the W3C, to talk us through the W3C's position on
>this concept of "Xtensibility through macros" as I will
>call it ?

XHTML uses "Extensibility through modules". There is a tutorial in
<http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/xhtml-m12n-tutorial/>. Here you can have
hours of fun with the DTDs...

So, yes, the idea of XHTML is that it should be extensible and applicable to
your needs. Most of the W3C and non-W3C XHTML Profiles use this mechanism.

Jonny Axelsson
Documentation,
Opera software