Re: How about a <notice>element?

From: Jonas Jørgensen <jonasj@jonasj.dk>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:06:14 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org

James Card wrote:

>>> I don't know.
>>I don't see a need for any of the elements you listed, but I think a
>><warning> element, in addition to <notice>, would be very useful as well.
>><warning>This will permanently delete the file!</warning>
>><notice>The file has been deleted.</notice>
>>Maybe <notice> should be called <info> or similar instead?
> There seems to be two or three major branches of HTML-based
> "documents". Initially the web consisted primarily of
> marked-up documents: academic papers, reports
> The second major branch comprises "documents" that are
> primarily presentational in nature. This ranges from
> graphics-laden pages displaying artwork, to

> The third branch I'll describe as the web application
> "documents". With the addition of forms and scripting the
> web browser became a platform for building the client
> interface for various interactive applications. "Documents"
> don't necessarily have any meaning or content -- they are
> containers for controls of various sorts. For this type of
> "document" also, we don't care whether the markup makes any
> sense or is valid -- we only care that the controls work.

I disagree. I always use valid, sense-making markup even for this type
of documents.

> (There are often also strong concerns about the
> presentational "it-has-to-look-good" aspects like the second
> branch.)
> The <warning> and <notice> elements you propose I would
> associate with the third group (web application).

> class as being especially helpful in the first branch (reports
> and research papers). I believe that Bjoern Hoehrmann's point
> is valid though: at what point do you stop adding extensions
> to the language?

That's not an easy question. But I still think that warning and notice
would be useful additions. And I don't really see the advantage of being
able to mark up abstracts, summaries and conclusions.

"Your password must be at least 18770 characters and cannot repeat any
of your previous 30689 passwords. Please type a different password."
- Microsoft Windows 2000