Re: How about a <notice> element?

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Jonas Jørgensen wrote:
>>I propose a <notice> element (or similar) for marking up small notices.
>
> Why does XHTML need a notice element?

More structural than <span class="notice">.

> Do you have any use cases?

I had to use <span class="notice"> today for a "Your changes have been
saved" message. That's why I proposed a <notice> element.

> What benefit do authors get?

If <notice> is a commonly recognized element, you can use it without
having to specify a style for it, as you must with <span class="note">.
Thereby browsers which don't support style sheets will also be able to
render a notice differently from the rest of the document.

> Are you sure authors will use this element?

How could I possibly be sure of that?

> What makes a <notice> and what does not?

It would be for status-like messages such as "Incorrect password" or
"Your changes have been saved". Perhaps someone can come up with a
better name than <notice>.

> <conclusion>, etc.pp. element? Where to stop?

I don't know.

/Jonas

--
"Your password must be at least 18770 characters and cannot repeat any
of your previous 30689 passwords. Please type a different password."