Re: XHTML 2.0 and the href and src attributes

From: Jonas Jørgensen <jonasj@jonasj.dk>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:49:32 +0200
To: Chris Mannall <chris.mannall@hecubagames.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Chris Mannall wrote:
> I wrote:
>  >As a somewhat related aside, why is the Hypertext attribute collection
>  >used so liberally? What is the intended meaning of e.g.:
>  >
>  >     <em href="http://www.example.com/">
>  >        this,
>  >     </em>
>
> To which Jonny Axelsson replied:
>  >For most purposes equivalent to:
>
> I wrote:
>  >surely this would make the 'a' element somewhat redundant?
>
> To which Jonny Axelsson replied:
>  >It would make the a element entirely redundant.
>
> This isn't strictly true; only the a element retains the hreflang, type,
> charset, rel, and rev attributes, all of which (arguably) add value. I'd
> especially lament the loss of 'rel' and 'rev' were a to be deleted
> entirely; although browser support for these attributes is limited (to
> put it politely), these attributes are potentially very useful. So the a
> element still has its place.

rel and rev attributes also apply to the link element. See
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-link.html>.

> In addition, in quickly checking up on the attributes named above, I
> believe I've come across an error in the spec; section 9.1 contains the
> following example:
>
>      <a name="anchor-one">This is the location of anchor one.</a>

That is an error, and it has already been reported to www-html-editor:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2002JulSep/0052.html

--
I have switched banks and indicated as reason for closing the account
that their home page is not w3c compliant.