From: David Bindel [mailto:dbindel@austin.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 9:37 PM
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: RE: Single label for 2 inputs?

>> I wish to use the same label for 2 separate inputs but what to know
>> how or if it is even allowed.

Nope.  Not allowed.

>> Example:
>> I have a form with 5 options the last being 'other:' with an option
>> to enter the 'other' in a type="text". Now can I use  the one label
>> tag or should I use two or shouldn't I do this at all.

What's the point of this???  You can't click on a label and have TWO
form controls selected.  Think about it: you click the label and it
selects BOTH form fields.  Then you start typing something.  What is the
browser supposed to do: automatically focus on the text box, or go to a
selection in the list box that matches what you type?  This is why you
cannot use the same label for 2 inputs.

What you can do is have a script that when "other" is selected from the
menu it will focus on the "Other" text input box.

Sincerely,
David Bindel