Embed HTML Fragments? (Possible XML implications)

From: Wesley Moy <wesleymoy8888@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 03:10:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
This is an idea for HTML in general. Please correct me for any problems in
my logic (or if this already exists).

In an HTML document, there are many blocks of information that are often in
common with other documents (e.g. navigation bars, page footers, etc.).
Would it be feasible to keep these in documents in separate document
fragments and "embed" them only when needed? This would make updating
navigation bars, table of contents, and other information easier. If so,
they would, I assume, be fragments, with no HTML tag, BODY tag, etc., so
they would need to take on a new XML format (XML Fragment--XMLF?)

I welcome your opinions