Re: OT: How do you xhtml/css2 guru's treat NS4?

On Sunday, April 21, 2002, at 07:04 , Mark Stanton wrote:

> I have been following this list for sometime and attempting to put much
> of
> what I learn into practice. I must say that much of it has been very
> helpful. I have noticed, and this is no surprise, that most of the
> suggestions do not render very well at all in NS4. I also know the
> reasons
> for this.
>
> My question is, what do you guys do?
> - Ignore Netscape 4

when i can get away with it, yes. anything that helps hasten the
abandonment of this software is a good thing.

> - Build a duplicate site/style sheet and use some browser sniffing

as a last resort only. it's easier/better to use an alternate stylesheet
than to write alternate html.

> - Only use code that depreciates gracefully

this would be a good idea even if nav4 didn't exist, and you can do more
than you might expect this way. this is an application interface sample
that, while still shackled to earth by the requirement to be usable in
Nav4, takes advantage of many UI language features specified in 1996 and
later: <http://style.tigris.org/nonav/docs/sampler.html>