Re: Removing margins with CSS

From: Nigel Peck <Nigel.Peck@itm-solutions.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:50:26 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>
I disagree with html being the root "canvas" element, as body is the
element which contains the elements to be displayed on the canvas. The
head is not for display in the canvas and html contains head and

Thanks for the help though :-)

>>> Alexander Savenkov <w3@hotbox.ru> 04/19/02 12:08pm >>>
Hello everyone, Nigel,

> Please could someone tell me the correct way to remove the margin
> a page using CSS.

> I am currently using;

> BODY    {margin: 0 px;}

> which works for IE but not NS.

> P.S. I have also tried {padding: 0 px;}

  First of all, it is incorrect to use BODY to set the margins of
  a pages because the root canvas is HTML.
  Using BODY works in IE because it's a possible bug (imho).
  So, as Jonas suggested, try to use this:
  html, body { margin: 0px }

  Secondly, it'd be better if you have indicated the browser
  version you use.

  I doubt if there's a person who haven't tried to solve the issue.
  I was browsing thru the archives of this list for hours, but failed
  to find a solution. There were two types of suggestions:
  1. Use the HTML code which won't validate:
  2. Forget about Netscape, because it's old, ugly, etc.

Best regards.
  Alexander "Croll" Savenkov         http://www.thecroll.com/
  w3@hotbox.ru                            http://croll.da.ru/

ITM Business Solutions
Unit 4
Nine Trees Trading Estate
Morthen Road
S66 9JG

Tel: 01709 703288
Fax: 01709 701549

Help Desk
Tel:01709 530424
Fax: 01709 702159

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of
under applicable law.