Re: Deprecated stuff in XHTML1.1

From: William F. Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: 09 Apr 2002 08:56:13 -0400
To: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org> writes:

> Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > Please, let there be someone at W3C working on a fix (erratum) for the
> > usemap/IDREF problem. Otherwise, given the current state of the major
> > browsers, client-side image maps are effectively deprecated in XHTML 1.1.
>
> See: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2002Apr/0019

I'm not impressed with the original complaint since imagemaps -- a bad
idea from the outset -- are not compliant with the accessibility
guidelines, and, moreover, look terrible -- though their links are
accessible -- in lynx (on those occasions when I need to use lynx).

More or less the same effect can be achieved with a table whose cells
are anchors with anchor text an image (which can and should have an
alt text).

The energy of this complaint might be better directed if mounted in a
campaign for a rendering hint attribute "emulateImageMap" for "table".

                                    -- Bill