RE: ampersands as literal characters in a URL?

From: Denis, David <DDenis@inlumen.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:26:06 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
> I don't think this is an HTML problem... all current browsers
> will send
> *exactly* the same request to your server whether you have escaped the
> ampersands or forgotten to. (Assuming you haven't
> accidentally given one
> of your variables the name of an entity, in which case the non-escaped
> version will break.)

Along the same lines but in XML:

<!DOCTYPE quotedata SYSTEM "mydtd.dtd"
[
<!ENTITY foo SYSTEM "http://www.somedomain.com/bin/stocknews?x=1&y=2">
]>

I've had the problem where the parser will choke on the '&' here but using
the entity value just gets sent to the server as is (this is with MSXML
anyway), just like Tony's problem.  I don't understand why the entity value
isn't replaced.

Dave