ie6 and transitional dtd

From: Sarah Wright <sarah@bluewave.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:06:15 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>

in IE6 I am having a problem. When a vertical scrollbar automatically
appears, it is adding extra width to the page, therefore a horizontal
scrollbar also appears, which you cannot get rid of on any vertical
scrolling page.

Also, for IE, when you set any scrollbar styles eg.

scrollbar-face-color:#ccccff;
scrollbar-highlight-color:#000099;

they are not taking affect. I have spent ages looking for IE6 bugs on this
problem, but I have just found out that if I take out the xhtml1.0 dtd
declaration, it all works fine !

Is there any way of fixing this without taking the dtd out ? I have found a
hack for the horizontal scrollbar (on IE6, putting in scroll="yes" into
body - not very elegant), but I'm presuming it should be fizable in the css.

thanks

Sarah Wright - Authoring Director
sarah.wright@bluewave.com
Bluewave Ltd - Online Creations