RE: "alt" attribute required by XHTML 1.0

From: Tommi Lahtonen <tjlahton@mit.jyu.fi>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:34:56 +0300 (EEST)
To: www-html@w3.org
On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:

>   Believe me, it is perfectly possible to write documents that
>   - use "latest" features like ECMAScript ("JavaScript"), Java Applets, SVG
>   Graphics and CSS Level 2 Layout
>   - are fully backwards compatible to nearly every browserą
>   - display great on new browsers and old browsers
>   - display great on text browsers like Lynx or w3m
>   - look as if they had frames in IE5, 5.5, 6 and Netscape6 / Mozilla with the
>   use of the CSS Level 2 overflow property though they do not use the Frameset
>   document type, so they are viewable with browsers that aren't capable of
>   displaying frames

This sounds interesting. Do you have any examples of this frame-like
behavior with this overflow property? So far I have managed to make
frame-like navigation bars with fixed positioning (CSS2) but it doesn't
work in IE5 or IE5.5. I haven't tested IE6 yet. My example:

http://appro.mit.jyu.fi/2001/syksy/propedeuttinen/

--
Tommi Lahtonen, tjlahton@mit.jyu.fi, <URL: http://www.iki.fi/hazor/>

I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them.  -- Isaac Asimov