Re: XHTML 1.0: Appendix C normative?

Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> writes in www-html@w3.org:
> * Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> >Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> >>    Since Appendix C ("HTML Compatibility Guidelines") defines mandatory
> >> requirements for text/html delivery of XHTML documents ([1])
> >No.
> >> [1] mandatory through normative section 5.1, I believe;
> >
> >Section 5.1 merely says "may".
>
> Delivering XHTML 1.0 as text/html is a "may", following the guidelines
> isn't.

Appendix C is labeled _informative_.  It "summarizes design guidelines
for authors who wish their (X)HTML documents to render" in old user
agents.  The mime labeling decision belongs to the content provider
as agent for the author.

Is anyone saying that Amaya is wrong in handling (X)HTML extended by
MathML whether served as "text/html" or as "text/xml"?

                                    -- Bill

P.S.  Those who favor "application/xhtml+xml" need to think ahead on
the issue of how that information, which would be part of a user-owned
data structure, would survive delivery to an http server running on a
primtive platform where content types are determined by the
1980's-style canonization of file system suffices.

P.P.S.  Remember that the name of the W3C document type for (X)HTML
is "html".  Don't confuse that with its formal public identifier or
its XML namespace.