Re: ampersands as literal characters in a URL?

From: <Tony.Rees@csiro.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:10:07 +1000
To: www-html@w3.org

>  You have to distinguish between URIs and attribute values,
>  all browsers. The URI is still script?a=1&b=2 but with
>  characters that must be escaped escaped. Not escaping the
>  ampersand may cause major problems.

Well, here's an example of what fails on my system, using either IE 5.00 or
Netscape 4.72 on my PC:

http://aqua.hba.marine.csiro.au:7272/CAAB/search/caab_search.search_prepare?
scitxt=con&amp;ctg=37

whereas this works as intended:

http://aqua.hba.marine.csiro.au:7272/CAAB/search/caab_search.search_prepare?
scitxt=con&ctg=37

How is it for you?

By the way, it is calling a PL/SQL procedure on one of our machines here. I
maintain the source code in the procedure (so I control what it actually
generates), but not its operating environment or the various web server/s
involved.

Tony