From: Christian Wolfgang Hujer [mailto:Christian.Hujer@itcqis.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 3:45 PM
To: Amar Kumar Padhi; www-html@w3.org
Cc: chaosdb@yahoo.com
Subject: RE: Microsoft Lover (was Re: "Two Marquee messages on the same
li ne")

Hello Amar,

as David already said:
> > [...] Microsoft's MARQUEE tag deserves to die. [...]
> [Amar:]
> I still would like to know if my question could be resolved in HTML only.
though asked a second time, the answer still is *no*.

You stumbled across something called Marquee, which is a proprietary
Microsoft element and doesn't work in nearly all other browsers (and there
are about 100 different browsers around there, take a look at
http://browserwatch.internet.com/ or similar sites).

I don't let anyone force me to use a certain browser. If a page doesn't work
with the browser I currently use, I simple leave the site. What else could
be the intention of the designer? "This site is optimized for Internet
Explorer 800x600" means "fuck off" to anyone else. So I just leave.
Bugs in browsers might also avoid proper display, but that's another topic,
and I know when it's the page or my browser who has bugs.

Back to your problem. It can be solved using:
- HTML, CSS, DOM and ECMAScript, creating a declaration with HTML and CSS in
combination with creating a programmatic animation using ECMAScript, CSS and
DOM.
- SVG, which is capable of declarative animation
- Flash, which is no W3 recommendation and which I therefore dislike as much
as I dislike <marquee/>
- other solutions which I don't know.

As the name HTML says: HTML is a markup language for hypertexts. No
animation. HTML has been raped by the advertising industry, Netscape (blink,
layers, several attributes), Microsoft (marquee, several attributes,
integration of vml, which is no standard) and several vendors of HTML
editors like NetObjects (Fusion's fixed layout, invisible graphics pixel
layout).

Many people often forget that HTML is meant to be completely device
independant. There may be a small PDA wanting to display your content in
160x200 pixel resolution. There are be blind people that use speech browsers
to surf the web. There are freaks using exotic devices like Amigas, BeBoxes,
Ataris, Acorns etc. to surf the web.
As long as the common denominator is supported, no one should be required to
support certain technologies like Cookies, ECMAScript etc..

Currently, the common denominator is HTML, so ECMAScript, DOM, CSS, SVG,
SMIL, MathML etc. and GIF, JPEG, PNG might be used as long as you use them
wisely and keep in mind that people might have devices that only support
HTML.

So as long as you don't know HTML, CSS, DOM and ECMAScript or SVG, anyone
might give you some peace of source code, but I am sure, when you adopt it
to your page, you won't be able to execute the adoption that keeps your page
"clean" and compatible.

Greetings

Christian