RE: Validate Strict AND no robots

From: Klaas De Waele <klaas@gracegraphics.be>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:45:34 +0200
To: "'Jim Angstadt'" <jimajima9@yahoo.com>, "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
There's also something like robots.txt

- Kayjey -

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: www-html-request@w3.org [mailto:www-html-request@w3.org]Namens Jim
Angstadt
Verzonden: maandag 14 mei 2001 5:08
Aan: www-html@w3.org
Onderwerp: Validate Strict AND no robots

I wish to exclude robots from some of my html pages.
A search of the w3 site for 'robots' linked me to:

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

Following a link 'Robots Exclusion' led me to:

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html

and then:

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/exclusion.html#meta

which explained the META use:

    In this simple example:

    <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">

    a robot should neither index this document,
    nor analyse it for links.

When used in an html file and validated against:

http://validator.w3.org/file-upload.html

errors occurred.  The validator page says:
"It checks HTML documents for conformance to W3C
HTML and XHTML Recommendations and other HTML
standards."

I use the following lines of code at the
start of my html documents:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Strict//EN"

The validator took exception as explained below:
( please note that indentation may render
  some symbols at an improper column. )

    Below are the results of checking this document
    for XML well-formedness and validity.

    Line 7, column 29:
/>
                               ^
    Error: there is no attribute "contents" for this
    element (in this HTML version) (explanation...)

    Line 7, column 50:
/>
                                                    ^
    Error: required attribute "content" not specified
(explanation...)

Is it possible to validate to 'strict' AND exclude
robots?
Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

=====
Regards,
Jim