Default submit buttons

From: Carsten H. Pedersen <chp@visholm.dk>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 05:22:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: <www-html@w3.org>
I would like to start a discussion regarding a popssible
change in the HTML specification.

Background: In August 2000, I posted the following message
on the php-general mailing list:
-----------
I have a <form> with two different submit buttons.

If the user presses [Return] while filling out the form,
this is equivalent of pressing the *first* of the buttons
in the HTML.

How do I specify that the default submit button should
be the *second* one defined?
-------------

I never received a good answer to this, but since posting
I have received numerous e-mails asking "did you ever find
a solution to the problem?"

I still receive these, 9 months after my initial query to the
list. Thus, it seems that there really is a need in the
HTML community to be able to specify which submit
button should be the default.

Maybe it would be a good idea adding a "default" qualifier
to either the <input type='submit'> tag or the <form> tag in
the HTML specification.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

/ Carsten
--
Natural selection saw to it that professional heroes who
at a crucial moment tended to ask themselves questions