Opened window detection?

From: Vincent Parque <Vincent@AngelEngineers.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:05:14 -0800
To: www-html <www-html@w3.org>
Hi, I'm not sure if I should ask this question here,

but is it possible to detect whether a child-browser window is opened?

For example: Window A has a link that will open Window B. And Window
A later needs to detect Window B's existence in order to take actions
accordingly. I know you can name your window using "target" in <a> tag,
but I'm not sure how to detect it's existence. I imagine using JavaScript's
DOM object?

Thanks.