Is there a 'maximum length' for HTML pages/files?

From: Ken Thomason <k.thomason@qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 11:49:21 +1000
To: www-html@w3.org
     Does anyone know if there is a specific maximum file or page length
for HTML pages?  The developers in our group have some academics that wish
to post huge html files - perhaps more than 1-2MB+ (not separate linked
files on one subject) and wondered if there is an RFC standard for a
browser, server or HTTP max restriction to size.  I would assume that it
would only be a matter of the browser host PC's memory resources.  I have
searched the W3 and other site's forum and knowledge bases but found no
mention of this constraint. Thanks.

Cheers,

Ken Thomason
OLT(On Line Teaching) System Administrator
TALSS (Teaching & Learning Support Services)
Queensland University of Technology
K Block, K405
Victoria Park Rd., Kelvin Grove, Q 4059  Australia
Phone: 07 3864 5401
Fax:     07 3864 5425