iframes and

From: Mjumbe Ukweli <mjumbewu@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:56:00 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org
i have searched and read through almost everything on iframes in this and
other w3c lists and i still don't see why they are so abhored.  the only
real problem i read that people have with iframes is that "[t]here is
currently no way to encode the entire state of a frameset in a URI,"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#h-16.3) thus making it
difficult or impossible to bookmark frames, but imho that as a problem with
current URI encoding and not with frames.  i realise that the <object> tag
can almost serve as a replacement for iframes, but the fact that they can't
be targeted is (to me at least) a major drawback.

please excuse my naivety if it is an obvious answer, but what is everyone's
problem with frames, and iframes in particular?

                                                  &#8226; mjumbe &#8226;