Re: XHTML 2.0 -- A Chance to Improve Document Structure?

From: Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:24:31 -0600 (CST)
To: <mjumbe@electricstoat.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
Mjumbe Ukweli, at 20:58 -0500 on Sat, 24 Mar 2001, wrote:

    i just realised, however, that simplifying heading structure to nested
    <sect> tags would make it a pain for developers reading the code to find out
    at what level a tag is, especially in documents with a bajillion sections
    (like a W3C REC).

IMO, this is a good thing, not a bad thing.  The writer shouldn't care
what level the current text is at, but rather it is just a sub-section of
the current level.  This allows for documents to be more neatly cut and
paste into each other, since currently <hx> tags would have to be
re-numbered to account for the parenting section. Sorta like lexical
scoping, blockwise.  You don't care how deep your blocks are; you just
care that the variable is local to the current level of nesting.

semantic meaning (we should keep <div> as bland as possible, I think).
In accordance with <section> we would allow the child-elements such as
<secction-title> or whatever.

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/