xhtml and wcag

From: James Craig <james_craig@Powered.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:13:34 -0500
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>

I was talking about W3C recommendations yesterday and I realized that there
are some seemingly conflicting aspects of the XHTML and WCAG
recommendations. For example, the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines state
that anytime JavaScript or multimedia is used, there should be an
alternative way to access the information provided in the multimedia.
However, the <noscript></noscript> tags have been deprecated from the XHTML
specifications in version 1.0 Strict and version 1.1.

Will someone explain this decision to me?

Thanks.
james