RE: client side includes

> From:	Jan Roland Eriksson [SMTP:jrexon@newsguy.com]
>

> Something that fits straight into the "context" of the data stream being
> parsed. (could be the counterpart of SSI, on the client side, if you
> like :) Now we only need clients to support that old idea...

[DJW:]  What you are seeing here seems to be a standard fate
of computing standards.  Someone devises a new language that is
lean and mean and targeted at a specific purpose.  In this case
entities were removed from HTML to allow simple browsers to be
written, and things like colours, from contemporary desk top
publishing, were excluded for simplicity and universality.

However, with time, everyone adds back the features to produce
a "one language fits all" type solution, but in doing so are often
unaware of that they are adding things back that were deliberately
removed, so add them back in an incompatible way.  In this case
it is also viewed as layering rot process, in that HTML is
layered on SGML, but people are unaware of this, so risk ending up
re-inventing SGML.

I don't think it will be long before XML ends up more complex than
SGML, even thought it was supposed to be a cut back version!