Re: Character Entity Reference for Single Quote.

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Tim Bagot wrote:

> Yes, it is valid everywhere " is. XML (and hence XHTML) predefine
> '. HTML, it seems, does not.

It could (and probably should), given Annex L.

> Um, actually, looking at the XML recommendation, I now notice that
> it _appears_ to be the case that a character reference can
> terminate a literal

Could you cite the passage suggesting this (erroneous) interpretation?
The text may need fixing.

(The canonical interpretation, borrowed from ISO 8879, is that a
character reference is always treated as data at the point where it
occurs.  In SGML, this leads to weirdnesses such as – in an HTML
document *not* being flagged as a validation error.)

Arjun