Re: Character Entity Reference for Single Quote.

From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 02:45:30 -0500 (EST)
To: www-html@w3.org
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Tim Bagot wrote:

> Yes, it is valid everywhere &quot; is. XML (and hence XHTML) predefine
> &apos;. HTML, it seems, does not.

It could (and probably should), given Annex L.

> Um, actually, looking at the XML recommendation, I now notice that
> it _appears_ to be the case that a character reference can
> terminate a literal

Could you cite the passage suggesting this (erroneous) interpretation?
The text may need fixing.

(The canonical interpretation, borrowed from ISO 8879, is that a
character reference is always treated as data at the point where it
occurs.  In SGML, this leads to weirdnesses such as &#150; in an HTML
document *not* being flagged as a validation error.)

Arjun