Re: client side includes

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Daniel Hiester wrote:

> I've decided to review the html 4.01 spec, to see if I could find the use of
> entities in a context I'm familiar with, but I only came out more confused,
> finding that HTML and HEAD entities, but TITLE, BODY, and LINK are not. In
> simple language, what is an entity, and how is its function in web markup
> different from a normal element?

HEAD and HTML are as much entities as TITLE, BODY, and LINK are.

During my discussion I've been refering to ``entity references'' as
entites.  To avoid confussion I probably should have been using ``entity
references'' all this time.

Google suggests that you read some document such as
<http://www.uic.edu/orgs/tei/sgml/teip3sg/>.  It seems to be as good as
any.  Section 8 is what is relevent to this discussion, but I think it is
very important that you read the whole document.

--
Russell O'Connor
           <http://www.math.berkeley.edu/~roconnor/>