Re: XHTML 1.0 vs. XHTML 1.1

From: Arjun Ray <aray@q2.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 23:40:48 -0500 (EST)
To: www-html@w3.org
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Sean B. Palmer wrote:

> The following is fully permitted by the XHTML specifications:-
>
>    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
>       "http://mycompany.com/myfolder/11dtd.dtd">
>
> As long as the XHTML 1.1 DTD appears at the system URL.

That would be the expectation, yes.  (Strictly speaking, the system
identifier is total baggage, but even if it weren't, why cached copies
of DTDs for XML documents should be advertised like this has never
been clear to me.)

> All this means that as your page evolves away from XHTML 1.1 (if
> at all) you can express the changes in the DTDs and still have
> your page validate.

How is the specimen doctype declaration above relevant?  When you say
"means", I have no idea what "all this" refers to.  Could you clarify
please?

Arjun